If you know about hand gliding, you are almost familiar with paragliding. Paragliding involves taking off from an elevated site like a tall hill or a mountain and soaring down towards the ground with the help of a parachute. Paragliding can be done individually as in solo paragliding where there is only one pilot who controls everything and it can be done with two people. This is known as Tandem Paragliding where one person is the pilot who controls everything and the other person is there to enjoy the ride down.
Bir Billing in the Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh
Bir Billing is situated in the Kangra district in the northern state of Himachal Pradesh. It is famed and titled as the Best Paragliding Location in all of Asia. It has even hosted the world’s first Paragliding World Cup tournament.
The price for Tandem paragliding varies according to the duration of the ride. 25 minutes will cost you 2000 INR and 60 minutes will cost you 3000 to 4000 INR. A typical tandem paraglide lasts for about 15 – 20 minutes. Experts say that you can visit Bir Billing anytime for paragliding thanks to its perfect climate and ideal taking off and landing sites. The best months are October and November. Monsoon shuts the facilities down from July to August.
Here are some tips for you if you are a beginner and are about to experience this revelation.
· Wear something light and comfortable. A simple t-shirt and track pants paired with good, sturdy shoes are highly recommended.
· Don’t over eat or over drink. Keep your meal light and avoid greasy junk food.
· Keep your calm. It is natural to be excited and revved up but in a limit. Hyperventilating will not help you experience the true delight of paragliding.
· Make sure you listen to your instructor carefully. Listening and cooperating helps enhance the experience of paragliding and prevents any mishap.
· Make sure you are protected from the sun. Be ready with plenty of sunscreen and sun glasses to protect yourself from the direct rays of the sun.
· If you have phobia of height, then paragliding is unfortunately not for you.
· If you forgot your camera, don’t worry because you can rent a GoPro for 500 INR.